Vegan Pea Soup
Vegan and Gluten-free Pea Soup
How fast it cooks! In less than 20 minutes they are soft, and there is no need for overnight soaking.
I don’t know about most people, but one cup is nothing to me, I would have two cups for sure! And that is 22 grams of protein and less than 400 calories! A great meal to have for dinner, especially if you want to cut on your calorie intake.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leek, white and pale green parts only
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups frozen (or fresh) English peas
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about half lemon)
- Garnish suggestions: wild mushrooms, mixed green shoots, drizzle olive oil, sauteed snow peas
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced leek and celery and cook until the vegetables soften about 8 minutes. Do not overcook or let them color. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the water, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the peas and cook until soft, about 5 to 8 minutes. If using frozen peas, just cook until defrosted. Add the parsley, thyme, and spinach. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Season to taste, and top with the mint and garnish of choice. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice before serving.